Northland Success Stories
Enrico Elifh MaricanNorthland Student 2004 - 2007Hockey
• Played for the National Team since 2007 Hockey Men’s
• Captained the Singapore National Team 2012 -2018
• Junior World Cup 2009
• SEA GAMES 2007, 2013, 2015, 2017
• Asian Games 2010, 2014
• Torch Bearer For SEA Games 2015
• Club Deportivo Terrassa Spanish D’honor league 2017/2018
• Men’s World Floorball Championship 2008, 2012 and 2016
• Best Player In 2008 and 2012 WFC against Great Britain &Switzerland
• Asia Pacific Championship 2006, 2007 and 2010
• Captained the Combined School Team
Northland Secondary School plays a vital role in my sporting career. Being an athlete in Northland has taught me so many valuable lessons. From juggling schoolwork and intense competitions and trainings, I learnt the art of time management and discipline.The main thing I took away as a student in Northland was the emotions I go through with my teammates during our journey together. We learnt to bounce back from setbacks. We have also developed the mental resilience and this has made the person who I am today. Thank you Northland for providing this opportunity to me to realise my potential.
Mohammed Sabri Bin Yuhari
Northland Student 2003 - 2006
• Represented Singapore in Hockey and Floorball from 2006-2017
• Hockey and floorball coach
My debut in the National Hockey Men’s Team was the Arafura Games in Darwin, Australia. I was one of the youngest players in the team. It was a memorable game for me as it was where I got to experience professional hockey. I was the co-captain of the U-21 Men’s National Hockey Team to compete in the 2009 Junior World Cup in Singapore. In addition, I represented Singapore in the Asian Games, SEA Games, World Series, Asian Cup and Olympic Qualifiers.Northland Hockey and Floorball have shaped me into the player I am today. With dedicated coaches and elaborated trainings, it was where my foundation of hockey and floorball was built. We were also given many opportunities for overseas trainings and games that were memorable and exciting for all of us. My teammates and I continue to be good friends even till this day.
Northland Student 1996 - 1999
Singapore Floorball Men’s National Team
• Full-Time Coach (Floorball)
• Asian-Oceania Floorball Federation Committee (AOFC) Member
• Chairman of AOFC Referees Development Committee (Head of Referees Asia)
• Singapore Floorball Association (SFA) Committee Member
• Chairman of SFA Referees Development Committee (Head of Referees Singapore)
My teachers and coaches in Northland play an important role in developing me into who I am today. Even though I gave them a lot of problems as a student, they continued to guide me and encourage me to be a better person. They instilled in me the values of responsibility and resilience, which have served me well even till this day. They nominated me for the Floorball Men’s National Team trial, in which I was then selected to represent the country for the next seven years. This paved the way for me to carve out my career in sports. Their belief in me made me believe in myself.
Tan Yi Ru
Northland Student 2003 - 2006
• Represented Singapore Floorball at age of 15
• Represent Singapore Hockey at age of 17
• Full Time Hockey/Floorball Coach(2008-2018)
Northland’s Hockey and Floorball programmes have moulded me to be a better player. They also always remind me to be on the right track morally, especially when I put on the school jersey. The programmes helped sharpen my skills as I saw steady improvements on pitch. Northland also provided me with platforms to travel and compete overseas. Through constant honing of skills and character, it eventually benefited me by enabling me to get into polytechnic using Hockey/Floorball through Direct School Admission Scheme. A big part of my development is also attributed to my dedicated coaches and teachers who constantly supported us.