English Language & Literature Department
Department Vision -
Inspire and nurture students to be effective communicators who share
In the English Language Department, we believe that every Northstar is a STAR. A Northstar is a learner who
We want to inspire students to love the language and hone the use of the English medium through everyday interaction and special programmes. These programmes include -
- Creative Writing Programme – Northstars develop their writers’ craft through exposure to a wide range of creative writing techniques in recounts and expositions.
- Oracy Programme – Through Take the Mic, Northstars are given the platform to articulate their opinions on their interest and cause.
Our literary talents are further nurtured for competitions such as –
- Chong Pang Next Top Speaker
- International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS)
- National Schools Literature Festival
The aims of the English Literature Curriculum are to:
- To hone students’ skills of literary appreciation and for the development of perceptive and logical thinking
- To enable students to understand and analyse the various literary works
- To provide opportunities for students to write creatively and enhance their ability to understand the thought processes behind literary works
One of the highlights of the Secondary 3 Literature programme is The Mask, which focused on personal engagement, meaningful connections, critical appreciation and reflection.
Our Upper Secondary students attended the dramatisation of The Off-Centre, the set-text offered at O & N levels. It provided the students with the opportunity to deepen their understanding of the text, ignite students’ curiosity and appreciate performing arts. The school also organised two workshops by Haresh Sharma, the author of Off-Centre to meet him in-person to explore the issues highlighted in the text.