Mother Tongue Department
- Every student a Competent Communicator in Mother Tongue Language
- To develop students into competent users of their Mother Tongue Languages
- To nurture students to appreciate and understand the culture of their Mother Tongue Languages, as well as that of others, so as to develop cross-cultural literacy
1) ReAP (Reading with Active Participation) Programme
This newspaper reading programme enables Northstars to develop literacy and communication skills and hone their critical and creative thinking skills through various lesson activities based on newspaper reading and current affairs.
a) Conversational Chinese Malay (CCM) Programme
Through this 14-week programme, Secondary 1 Northstars offering MTL at Express level will acquire an elementary understanding of the Chinese/Malay languages and be able to hold a simple conversation with a native speaker in common scenarios.
Northstars will learn about the cultures and customs related to different Mother Tongue Languages and develop cross-cultural literacy skills.
3) Mother Tongue Fortnight
Northstars will learn more about the culture related to their Mother Tongue Languages through a range of activities, such as learning journeys, workshops, performances and talks.
Our Higher Ability Students are further developed through
- representing the school in essay writing, newspaper making, oracy and translation competitions, among others.
- serving as School Correspondents – write to newspapers to share about school events.