Home > Student Development Curriculum > SPARCLE Weeks > SPARCLE 1
SPARCLE stands for SPorts, Academic, R3 (respect, responsibility and resilience) values, Character Leadership Education.
SPARCLE 1 in Northland is a week-long outdoor learning experience designed to
- nurture character by inculcating values, develop social-emotional competencies, enhance leadership skills and cultivate a sense of civic mindedness.
- provide authentic learning outside classrooms in a real-world environment
- customise programmes based on student needs & aspirations (using SEPAS balanced wellness framework)
The activities include
- Game for Life (GfL) X-treme Run
- Secondary 1 Camp Respect which is a 2-day class bonding overnight camp comprising of a learning journey to Kidzania and a trip to Gardens by the Bay.
- Secondary 1 NSS Trail
- Secondary 2 Camp Responsibility which is a 3-day overnight adventure camp comprising of adventure and high elements’ activities such as Dragon Boating and Rock Climbing.
- Secondary 2 Career Talks
- Secondary 3 Northland Overseas Values in Action (NOVIA) to provide our Northstars with meaningful internationalisation in Phnom Penh (Cambodia), Hainan (China), Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam), and Batam (Indonesia).
- Secondary 4E/5N Graduation Package in which Northstars went on learning journeys to various Polytechnics (NYP and RP) to gain exposure to the various courses they offer and have hands-on experience in some of the courses, and planned VIA projects for the elderly in our community.
- Secondary 4N Elective Modules where students get first-hand experience of modules such as Aeronautical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Beauty Services, Digital Photography, Food and Beverage Services, Fashion design, Events Management and Mobile Application and Design. They applied what they have learnt on the final day showcase.
GFL X-treme Run
On 11 March 2019, Northland kicked start our SPARCLE 1 Week with our annual GFL X-treme Run at Singapore Sports Hub. The run is part of the school’s Learning for Life Programme (LLP), cultivating lifelong love for physical activity and sports in students. Students and staff gathered at Sports Hub to enjoy the early morning run, overcoming challenges and showing resilience in completing the run. It was a fun day building camaraderie and doing some physical exercise.